Saturday, September 20, 2008

Profile: Jim Blankemeyer, Chairman of the Metokote Corporation.

Profile: Jim Blankemeyer, Chairman of the Metokote Corporation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It’s no secret that starting your own company can be tough, sucking up all of your time, energy and attention and causing you to neglect other things, such as family and friends. That’s exactly what happened to Jim Blankemeyer, Chairman of the Metokote Corporation. Thankfully, he realized what was happening early on, and he took some dramatic steps to ensure his business didn’t succeed at the expense of his family.

Within two years of starting his metal coating business in a rented garage in Lima, Ohio using refurbished, second-hand equipment, Jim and his brothers were already winning contracts with some of the biggest corporations in the country, including 3M and Ford. But the pressures of maintaining their growth curve were taking a heavy toll on Jim’s family life, and he realized it was time to make a change. “I said, ‘You know, I’m the problem, and I know I’ve got to fix something.’”

As a result, Jim and his wife decided to host a Bible study in their home. Several weeks later, Jim made a decision. “I told my wife, ‘I don’t know about you, but I’m ready to ask God to forgive me and come into my life.'” But Jim didn’t stop there. Not only did he offer God his life, he also gave God his marriage and his business. In fact, if God wanted Jim to sell the company and become a missionary, Jim was ready to go, and so was his wife.

Despite Jim’s dramatic change of heart, nothing extraordinary happened right away. However, people - especially his family - began to notice little changes. Personally, over the next two weeks, Jim came to realize he had been living his life in rebellion against God, acting as if God didn’t exist and doing things on his own terms. Although Jim had experienced a reasonable amount of success despite this negative attitude, he knew God was calling him to something more. It wasn’t long before some significant changes began to occur.

“I think in terms of our business, I began to relax,” Jim says. “It wasn’t me trying to be successful anymore. It was me going to God and saying, ‘God, use the resources that you’ve placed in my life for your honor and your glory.’ And I think it was in relaxing that I became better at my job.”

Oddly enough, the minute Jim turned control of his company over to God, Metokote began to experience phenomenal growth. Through a combination of innovation, a reputation for excellence and integrity, and solid customer service, over the next few years Metokote grew into an international company with 30 facilities in five countries and over 3,000 employees.

As proof of his changed heart, Jim has not used his company’s success to accumulate a lot of personal wealth. Instead, he has formed a charitable foundation that supports a variety of ministries.

“In Matthew 6:33, God tells us to seek first his kingdom and then all these other things will be given to us as well," Jim says. “And I believe that principle really has been the basic reason why we’re successful.”

Would you like to experience success on God’s terms? Let Jesus show you how. If you don’t know Jesus, we encourage you to pray the following:

Lord Jesus, I want to know You personally. Thank You for dying on the cross for my sins. I open the door of my life and receive You as my Savior and Lord. Thank You for forgiving my sins and giving me eternal life. Take control of my life. Make me be the person You want me to be.


Is it the desire of your heart to make this prayer yours?

If yes, pray now and according to his promise, Jesus Christ will come into your life.

God cares about your success
Abraham Ekedum

No comments: